PKM is a set of processes, individually constructed, to help each of us make sense of our world and work more effectively. PKM means taking control of your professional development, and staying connected in the network era, whether you are an employee, self-employed, or between jobs.
PKM in 40 Days — online workshop (next scheduled for March 2015)
- Personal – according to one’s abilities, interests & motivation.
(not directed by external forces)
- Knowledge – understanding information and experience in order to act upon it.
(know what, know who, know how)
- Mastery – the journey from apprentice to disciplined sense-maker and sharer of knowledge.
(masters do not need to be managed)
The active practice of PKM can help increase Connections, develop Meaning, and improve Autonomy; for any profession, vocation, or life style.
Seek > Sense > Share
PKM, and my Seek > Sense > Share framework, are discussed in Dan Pink’s book, To Sell is Human:
To make sense of the world, for ourselves and those we hope to move, we must wade through a mass of material flowing at us every day – selecting what’s relevant and discarding what’s not. (p. 147)
PKM gives you a framework to develop a network of people and sources of information that you can draw from on a daily basis. It a process of filtering, creating and discerning so that you spend less time answering email or finding that great presentation you saw, and more time focused on being a better practitioner of your craft.
PKM in Practice
PKM as a multi-tool cites several examples, including:
- PKM for a Corporate Audience PDF (Domino’s Pizza)
- PKM in Health Care PDF (UK National Health Service)