PKM is a set of processes, individually constructed, to help each of us make sense of our world, work more effectively, and contribute to society. PKM means taking control of your professional development, and staying connected in the network era, whether you are an employee, self-employed, or between jobs.
- Personal – according to one’s abilities, interests & motivation.
(not directed by external forces)
- Knowledge – understanding information and experience in order to act upon it.
(know what, know who, know how)
- Mastery – the journey from apprentice to disciplined sense-maker and knowledge catalyst.
(masters do not need to be managed)
Purchase The PKM Handbook (DRM-free PDF) [includes all PKM material published in the perpetual beta series)
Purchase a coil bound, black & white paper version at Lulu: PKM Handbook
Four public online workshops are scheduled each year: January, April, July, September
Custom workshops can be developed for organizations:
‘Transforming Knowledge into Mastery is a second way of learning: the domain of “collective learning” so to say. One that requires learners to practice with each other, or to practice together with “masters“ (i.e. someone with mastery). One might say that here, you need at least two learners! This “K2M” transformation can happen in the classroom, “on the job”, by practicing problem-solving, by seeking advice, or in direct online interaction.’ – Niels Pflaeging
- The Seek > Sense > Share Framework (article)
- HBR: The Best Leaders are Constant Learners [a good one to pass to your boss]
- PKMastery (video of presentation in London 2017)
The active practice of PKM can help increase Connections, develop Meaning, and improve Autonomy; for any profession, vocation, or life style.
“The more I am out there chatting to clients, the more I realise that your PKM approach is the number one critical skill set. Any way I look at it, all roads seem to end there. It is the foundation. That’s why I thought this is where they need to start – and not just the employees – everyone including the managers.” – Helen Blunden, AU
PKM in Practice
- PKM for a Corporate Audience PDF (Domino’s Pizza)
- PKM in Health Care PDF (UK National Health Service)
- PKM in Health Care (video)
- PKM in LSL (Listening & Spoken Language)
How valid is PKM?
My PKM seek > sense > share framework is used and referenced in these academic programs:
- Australia, University of Southern Queensland, Networked and Global Learning course, EDU8117 & EDC3100
- Canada, University of Ottawa, Knowledge Management Course, MA Programme
- USA, Creighton University, Interdisciplinary Doctorate Program
- USA, University of Pennsylvania, Executive Doctoral Program
- USA, Technological Systems Approaches to Leadership at Concordia University, Irvine, CA, EDD703
- USA, Master’s Program in Learning & Organizational Change at Northwestern University, MSLOC430
- Wales, Bangor University Psychology Department (used across the department)
Organizations that have adopted some or all of the PKM framework: ING Bank, Domino’s Pizza, Carlsberg Group, MasterCard Foundation, University of Nebraska Extension Network.
Seek > Sense > Share
PKM gives you a framework to develop a network of people and sources of information that you can draw from on a daily basis. It a process of filtering, creating, and discerning so that you spend less time answering email or finding that great presentation you saw, and more time focused on being a better practitioner of your craft. PKM connects collaboration and cooperation, through active sense-making by engaged individuals.