Google ups the ante

I just noticed that my free Gmail account now gives me 1223 MB of space – and it’s increasing every second – I now have 1224 MB. I guess that I really don’t have to worry about running out of space. So why does Aliant only provide me with 10 MB for my $40 per month?

7 Responses to “Google ups the ante”

1. Anonymous

Domain Name…I want to reply to the person who said this:

“I agree with you about obtaining your own domain name. I wish that I could either afford it or at least justify the costs as a business expense.”

Domain names usually only cost about 9$ US each year. It’s affordable, and well worth the price! Check out active-domain.com. I’ve been getting my domain names from them for years and I’m very satisfied.

2. Anonymous

Cheap Domain NamesI agree that a domain name is not expensive. I use my local host, Tantramar Interactive as I know that there is a real person I can talk to if I have a DNS problem or anything else. My only advice is that you ensure that there is an easy procedure to make changes, because change is the only constant in this business.

3. Anonymous

Many Aliant internet productsMany Aliant internet products offer fewer options for an equivalent or higher monthly charge than other local providers. Rogers, for instance, beats them in the number of e-mail addresses and the amount of personal web space included with a basic high-speed account. Rogers also provides better features at a lower price when comparing business web-hosting packages.

I once sent a letter to Aliant’s sales department questioning this. Needless to say, I never received a response.

Were it not for two things: (a) having a dedicated ADSL line vs. shared Cable and, (b) the trouble of having to change e-mail and website addresses that I’ve used for over 4 years, I would definitely consider moving away from Aliant as my Internet Service Provider.

Dan MacDonald

4. Anonymous

Personal e-mailGood points – I’m not sure aboout shared cable being slower than ADSL from a dedicated switch over POTS. On the subject of permanent e-mail, I think that the best route is to get your own domain name (e.g. jarche.com) with mailservice, as it’s not too expensive. I have done that – just use Gmail as a spam filter 🙂

5. Anonymous

I use Netscape and Hotmail acI use Netscape and Hotmail accounts for “unnecessary applications” such as online contests, software registrations, and so forth. That directs some of the spam away from my main accounts. However, I prefer not to use secondary IMAP accounts for primary email services such as business and personal contacts. Part of it is because I have never had good luck using web-based email and part of it is a refusal – perhaps in vain – to give in to the spammers (see this post from my blog – http://brikwall.blogspot.com/2005/01/damn-spam.html ).

I use an old (and free) version of MailWasher to filter my incoming mail. I still have to review the messages manually but at least it is done directly on the server. Spam doesn’t make it onto my computer and into my inbox.

I agree with you about obtaining your own domain name. I wish that I could either afford it or at least justify the costs as a business expense. Even here, though, Aliant is not at the head of the pack. Their web-hosting packages come with free IMAP mail. POP3-based services are an added expense of about $3 per address per month. It is not a major expense but an additional cost nonetheless. I don’t know how Rogers or other local providers fare in this department.

If I decided to switch ISP’s I would have to do some research into cable and whether or not it still suffers from speed and bandwidth problems when under heavy local load. I understand some of the companies have attempted to reduce or eliminate these effects altogether. However, when I first switched to high-speed service 4.5 years ago, those issues were a major consideration. At the time, dedicated ADSL was the better overall option.

Of course, at the time, I was dealing with NB Tel and not Aliant. You’ll be hard-pressed to convince me that the quality of service has increased since the merger.

6. Anonymous

Domain name costsAgreed. I think Aliant and Rogers charge about $19.95 Canadian per year and I know there are other, cheaper, services available.

But my comment wasn’t based on the actual cost of the domain name, it was based on my personal financial situation and my current inability to either afford or justify those costs.

$20 ain’t much, but you gotta have it to spend it…

Dan MacDonald