Via Stephen is the news that the two biggest course management systems for the academic market are going to merge into a single corporate entity, though the Blackboard company name will dominate. Here are my initial thoughts:
- My first question remains, "Does it do anything for the learner?" A: I don’t think so.
- Elliott will say he saw it coming all along 😉
- This makes the comparison with open source learning systems a lot easier, because there will be fewer proprietary systems to compare with 🙂
- The WebCT brand will quickly fade away (don’t want to confuse the client)
- License fees will increase for this "new & improved" product.
- Those really interested in facilitating learning, like George, will continue to do their own thing and still not be engaged in a discussion by Blackboard.