Seth Godin discusses his early approach to doing business on the Web and shows how a fixed perspective didn’t help with a market that is in constant transition. A pre-determined agenda, combined with the desire to use the assets on hand plus an assumption that nothing would change, spelled failure.
How about education?
- Agenda: We need to follow the curriculum.
- Assets: Let’s keep our classrooms full and teachers employed.
- Assumption: Everything happening outside the classroom is not influencing the students, parents or legislators.
How about training?
- Agenda: What can we deliver?
- Assets: Fill up the LMS, since we paid lots for it.
- Assumption: No one will ever notice that information delivery does not equate to performance improvement.