Here’s an elevator pitch, in 10 sentences, for social learning, which is what really makes social business work.
- The increasing complexity of our work is a result of our global interconnectedness.
- Today, simple work is being automated (e.g. bank tellers).
- Complicated work (e.g. accounting) is getting outsourced.
- Complex and creative work is what gives companies unique business advantages.
- Complex and creative work is difficult to replicate, constantly changes and requires greater tacit knowledge.
- Tacit knowledge is best developed through conversations and social relationships.
- Training courses are artifacts of a time when information was scarce and connections were few; that time has passed.
- Social learning networks enable better and faster knowledge feedback loops.
- Hierarchies constrain social interactions so traditional management models must change.
- Learning amongst ourselves is the real work in social businesses and management’s role is to support social learning.